Welcome to the Bristol Shambhala Buddhist Meditation Centre and our satellite groups in Bradford on Avon, Herefordshire, Stroud and Dorchester.
Shambhala is an international community of practitioners of meditation in the Buddhist and Shambhala traditions. Through the practice of meditation and Buddhism, we hope to inspire an awake and compassionate society through personal and collective transformation.
The Bristol Shambhala Centre and our groups in Herefordfordshire, Stroud and Dorchester offer meditation instruction, Buddhist courses and mindfulness practice suitable for all levels. Evening talks and weekend programmes are also scheduled on teachings with the Shambhala tradition. Through the practice of meditation and the principles of Shambhala Buddhism, we aim to realise the basic goodness of ourselves and society.
Shambhala Vision and Basic Goodness
Shambhala vision is rooted in the principle that every human being has a fundamental nature of basic goodness. This nature can be developed in daily life so that it radiates out to family, friends, community and society. According to the Shambhala tradition, we are living through an age of greed and aggression and as a result we harm ourselves, each other and our planet.
The Shambhala teachings offer an antidote to this crisis. They were the basis of the legendary Kingdom of Shambhala, a society that fostered the inherent goodness of its people. Shambhala vision tells us that we can experience a natural source of radiance and brilliance in the world, which is the innate wakefulness of human beings. The discovery of this is this is the journey we share together within Shambhala.
For details of our meditation evenings and courses on Buddhism in Bristol, Bradford on Avon, Herefordfordshire, Stroud and Dorchester please check out the classes and programmes page. Our weekly and monthly drop-in sessions are detailed below.
The video below shows the current head of the Shambhala lineage, Sakyong Mipham, discussing basic goodness.
Shambhala also offers the opportunity to study meditation and Buddhist teachings on-line with Shambhala On-line. Students also have the opportunity to engage in longer retreats and programmes at our many retreat centres around the world including Dechen Choling.
Here at the the Bristol Shambhala Centre we offer you a space to meet like-minded people who would like to open their hearts and minds and touch the tenderness within.
We look forward to connecting with you and sharing our journey of discovering basic goodness.
Feel free to pop along to one of our regular meditation sessions at the Bristol Shambhala Centre open to all:
- Ideal for anyone new to meditation or who wants a refresher of meditation instruction.
- Short sitting sessions with time for discussion.
- Every first Wednesday of the month
- 7:00pm – 9:00pm.
- £5 donation.
Community Meditation Evening (Open to all)
- Longer periods of sitting and walking meditation.
- Every second, third, fourth and fifth Wednesday.
- 7:00pm – 9:00pm.
- £5 donation
- A day long meditation retreat with longer meditation sessions.
- The second Sunday of the month.
- 10:00am – 4:00pm with an hour for lunch.
- £10 donation.
For more information and to find out which session we’re running this month visit our calendar page
Not based in Bristol? Our other groups in the South West meet as follows:
- Bradford on Avon: Tuesdays 2.30.pm – 4.00pm and 7.30pm – 9.00pm (beginning 12 June 2018) at the Quaker Meeting House, 1 Whiteheads Lane, Bradford-on-Avon, BA15 1JU. Please contact Rona Wyatt before attending just to confirm a session is happening on the day you intend to come. Rona is contactable on 07796 210 714 or you can email her at [email protected]
- Dorchester: Tuesday 7:30pm – 9:00pm
The Friend’s Meeting House, 8 Holloway Road, Fordington, Dorchester, DT1 1LF.
Tel: 01305 889476 (Colin) or visit the Dorchester Shambhala site.
- Herefordshire: This group meets weekly on a Thursday evening and monthly at the weekend. Please email Dian Marie at [email protected] or Steve at [email protected] for more info.
- Stroud: Tuesday 7:45pm – 9:00pm
Chalford Village Hall near Stroud. Tel: 01453 889609 ( John or Sophie).
If you have any questions about our programmes or meditation please email [email protected] or call 0117 3296109 and leave a message – someone will call you back.